Recipe: Sweet Potato Cupcakes
Looking for a last-minute sweet addition to your Thanksgiving table? Check out Millie Peartree's recipe for her "So Sweet So Simple Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting."
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans (optional)
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter, softened
4 large eggs
1 (16-oz.) can mashed sweet potatoes
2/3 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups cake flour
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
Garnish: coarsely chopped pecans (optional)
1. Place pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan.
2. Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted, stirring once after 4 minutes.
3. Beat sugar and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
4. Whisk together mashed sweet potatoes, orange juice, and vanilla extract. Combine flour and next ingredients. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with sweet potato mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Fold in toasted pecans. Place baking cups in muffin pans; spoon batter into cups, filling two-thirds full.
5. Bake at 350° for 28 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove immediately from pans, and cool 50 minutes to 1 hour or until completely cool. Spread cupcakes evenly with Cream Cheese Frosting. Garnish with pecans, if desired.
Makes 24 regular size cupcakes or 48 mini cupcakes *baking times vary
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting:
4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons Grade A maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a large bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer. With the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth and creamy. Beat in the vanilla extract.
About Millie Peartree:
Millie Peartree Cupcakes & More was Founded by Millie Peartree in 2009 and inspired by her mother Millie Bell and her time growing up in the south. Millieʼs petite indulgences have big southern ﬂavors that carry on her familyʼs tradition of creating happiness and joyful memories through food. Millieʼs unique variety of 22 different ﬂavored cupcakes-which include red velvet, mint condition, raspberry lemonade, banana pudding, pineapple upside down and carrot cake-are all about enjoying unique, mouthwatering desserts in moderation.
The opinions, advice and statements, including any recommendations for product(s) or services, offered by any expert or blogger featured on www.andersoncooper.com are not recommended and/or endorsed by Anderson Live, ANE Productions, Inc., Telepictures Productions,Inc., Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc. or Mr. Anderson Cooper. Should you choose to follow the advice in any of the above statements, including the purchase and use any of any product(s) or services, you shall do so entirely at your own risk.