Monster Energy Drink Statement
Anderson speaks to mom Wendy about the death of her 14-year-old daughter due to caffeine toxicity. Anais, who also had a pre-existing heart condition, suffered cardiac arrest after drinking two Monster Energy drinks last December.
Monster issued a full statement in response to Anais' death.
We were saddened to hear about this tragedy, no matter what the cause. We first learned about the incident when we were contacted by a reporter several weeks ago. We have not been contacted by either the family or the coroner, so we have almost no facts, making it exceedingly difficult for us to comment.
Monster Energy drinks are completely safe, and we stand behind our products.
On an ounce per ounce basis, there is more than double the caffeine in the leading brand of brewed coffee than there is in Monster Energy drinks.
As stated in an independent report published in the Journal of Analytical Toxicology, "caffeine amounts in coffee-based drinks can vary wildly," and one 16-oz. cup of the leading brewed coffee brand has been shown to contain from 300 to 564 mg. of caffeine, which would be an average of 27 mg. per ounce. By comparison, two 24-oz. cans of Monster -- each can contains three servings -- contain a total of 480 mg of caffeine, or 10 mg. per ounce. In other words, the average amount of caffeine in a single venti-size cup of the leading brewed coffee exceeds the amount of caffeine in two 24-oz. cans of Monster Energy drinks combined. Additionally, in the case of Monster Energy drinks, the caffeine amount is consistent and controlled.
There are a number of questions that would need to be answered for us or anyone to be able to further comment factually:
Was a toxicology screen ever performed?
Was a caffeine screen ever performed?
Was the young woman engaged in any strenuous or other activity around the time of the incident?
Were any other products or substances consumed by the young woman around that time that could have contributed to the incident?
When did she consume the two separate cans, and how soon after she consumed the drinks did she become ill?
Were others present at the time of the incident, and were they consuming similar or any other products or substances, and if so, did they have any reaction to what they were consuming?
Had the young woman ever had a negative reaction to caffeine in the past?
Additionally, we note that many common products and substances can cause severe reactions.
Until all the facts are known, it is clear that there is no basis whatsoever for suggesting that Monster Energy drinks caused or indeed played any part in the incident.